SKILLS FOR LIFE
Outward Bound Netherlands delivers programmes designed to aid young people in developing the tools necessary to recover from serious illness. When people first hear the words ” You are seriously ill” their life is changed forever both physically and emotionally as well as spiritually. When people hear those words, they often have to deal with feelings of fear, the frustrations of questions without answers, physical loss and alienation. Our programmes are designed to understand and move beyond these feelings, providing the tools to develop new behaviours and coping mechanisms as well as a social network of support.
A partnership approach
Outward Bound Netherlands works in partnership with private, for-profit, not-for-profit, and public organisations to deliver 3 and 5 day outdoor residential experiences, which are tailored to meet their individual needs and values. We work with small groups of young people with serious illness to come together to share a week of “challenge by choice” adventures, group support and the healing powers of being outdoors. What actually takes place is a metamorphosis that leaves participants more self-empowered, confident and hopeful about their future.
Participants -whether in treatment or not, experientially confront the issues that keep them from achieving their aspirations. The course experiences act as “mirrors” of individual’s lives, metaphorically providing a testing ground for how they respond to the stresses and choices that they face daily. Often stated course outcomes include:
- It helps us regain control of our lives
- It shows our family and friends that we can live our lives the way we choose
- It reminds us to make the most of every moment.
- It creates a new state of wellness in each of us.
- It demands the best of us both physically and mentally.
- It helps us to overcome the loneliness of our illness.
- It creates a safety net in the event of a recurrence.
- It gives us pride in our accomplishments.
- It enables us to move on with our lives.
- It creates a new balance in our lives.
- It encourages us to share our experience with others.
“Through the strenuous demands of the course, we have learned that we can push the limits of our physical endurance and have fun doing it. We have grown stronger as individuals and as a group. We began as strangers with only our disease in common; now we are best friends and an emotional support network for each other, our friends, and our communities. Our dream is to continue to encourage all those living with a serious illness to live full and active lives.”Participant
An Outward Bound course is all about learning and the impact this has on the individual. This is achieved through skilful people working in an inspiring and challenging environment and applying an effective process.
- Tailored residential courses for groups of at least 10 students;
- Challenging, fun and safe course environment;
- Research, evaluation and feedback with proven course outcomes;
- Competitive pricing and discounts;
- Simple registration process.
Make an enquiry
Please contact us and one of our Advisors will be back in touch soon.